Forum ->News & Announcements

View previous topic
:: View next topic

Lalunette (off-line)
club spokesperson

view gallery: 6 pics

contact Lalunette
 email | private msg

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Trip to Alaska Reply with quote

[Back to top]
Alaskan420 (Ryan) from MRA is planning a trip from NJ to Alaska. He should be coming through Winnipeg in May and I plan on publicising his trip to the local media and try and get the local Tomos dealer to meet with him to offer a tune-up (or something like that).

Please find below a summary of why he is doing this and where he plans to stop on the way. He rides a Tomos LX with a Technigas pipe and a 70cc kit.

Also, he would like to meet with local moped/scooter guys as he swings through. I think ScooteringManitoba should treat him to supper... and a couple beer!!!

Alaska Moped trip.

I was born and raised in Alaska or 8 years, and i go back there every summer(by plane).i have been riding mopeds for about 2 and a half years, and i have always done little travels onthe moped. like taking little weekend trips riding down to camp grounds.When i didnt get a chance to go to alaska last summer i got to thinkin. mabey next year i can ride up there. wellone this led to another and i started my planning. i love traveling by moped you get to fully expierance the wilderness for what it is. dont get me wrong. i think the flying by plane is good if you have to be someplace quick, but if you like to travel and really want to fully expierance the world for what it is, you cant go wrong with a moped. People are always curiouse about my moped as well, people are always asking me how it feels to ride on them. People always tell me that they dont see moped around as much a they used to. it is a good way to meet people onthe road while traveling. good conversation starter.

I am riding from Long Branch,New Jersey to Eagle River,Alaska, i have a planned date to leave on the earley morning of Sunday May 6th,2007. From there i plan to ride to Binghamton,NY and spend my first night there, then the next morning i plan to cross the border into Canada at Niagara Falls,Ontario.

My planned route after Niagara Falls is as fallows.

Niagara falls,Ontario,canada

Barrie,Ontario

Sudbury,Ontario

Montreal River Harbor,Ontario

Thunder Bay,Ontario

Dryden,Ontario

-Manitoba-

Winipeg,Manitoba

Minnedosa,Manitoba

-Saskatchewan-

Yorkton,SK

Saskatoon,SK

-Alberta-

Lloydminster,AB

Edmonton,AB

Fox Creek,AB

Grande Prairie,AB

-British Columbia-

Dawson Creek,BC

Fort Nelson,BC

-Yukon Territory-

Watson Lake,YT

Whitehorse,YT

Destruction bay,YT

-Alaska-USA-

Tok,Alaska

Gakona junction,AK

Destination-Eagle river,AK eagle river is my home town i grew up there and lived there for 10 years and the dad still lives there. once i get there i can going to see the dad for a week or so then i am traveling down to seward alaska,travel the seward.HWY, The sterling hwy, and mabey the parks hwy.
I am also concidering making a attempt to ride to the northren most point inthe US accessable by road( Prudehoe Bay,Alaska)

I would really like to meet some people along the way, it is always great to meet locals. maby meet up with some fellow mopeders or motorcyclest just to say hi or any one.

"You can go far with a smile. You can go even farther with a smile and a moped... or a scooter."

Blij dat ik rij / Rood gevaar !!

Daņiel (off-line)
Club Member

contact Daņiel
 email | private msg

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Back to top]
70cc? Is that legal? The MPIC police will stop him at the border!!!!!

Lalunette (off-line)
club spokesperson

contact Lalunette
 email | private msg

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Back to top]
Daņiel wrote:
70cc? Is that legal? The MPIC police will stop him at the border!!!!!

LOL !!!

I very much doubt the "mpic police" will have anything to say about a moped that is legally registered in the US. Wink

"You can go far with a smile. You can go even farther with a smile and a moped... or a scooter."

Daņiel (off-line)
Club Member

contact Daņiel
 email | private msg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Back to top]
Guess so.

BlueW (off-line)
Club Member

view gallery: 8 pics

contact BlueW
 email | private msg

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Back to top]
No but the police could give a ticket for riding to slow, if he can't keep up with traffic, event the the pipe and a 70 my guess is he could still only do 80 tops on a "Moped"

so not a big deal in Toba where the posted is 100 that's only 20 below still within range but in saks and alberta where its 110 30 is a bigger difference.

I wish him luck anyways, I'd love to do something similar, but thought that a hwy bike would be more appropriate, especially if your going to the mountains, but 20km/h up a mountain road, he'll still get there in the end f he has determination.

Daņiel (off-line)
Club Member

contact Daņiel
 email | private msg

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Back to top]
BlueW wrote:
but 20km/h up a mountain road,

But just think of the other side. 120km/h.

Paradigm20c (off-line)
Club Member

view gallery: 3 pics

contact Paradigm20c
 email | private msg

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Back to top]
Yikes! I don't think I'd be too eager to do the downside of a mountain on a scooter or moped any time soon.

I had thought about riding my new Vino 125 up to Riding Mountain one weekend, but the thought of going down that hill just north of Minnedosa kind of cured me of that notion.

OldSchool (off-line)
Club Member

view gallery: 0 pics

contact OldSchool
 email | private msg

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Back to top]
Toronto to Yukon, Alaska, and NWT, return, on a moped in 1978. 18,660 km, 97 days. $103 for gas+oil
http://wmuma.com/moped78/

Lalunette (off-line)
club spokesperson

contact Lalunette
 email | private msg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Back to top]
OldSchool wrote:
Toronto to Yukon, Alaska, and NWT, return, on a moped in 1978. 18,660 km, 97 days. $103 for gas+oil
http://wmuma.com/moped78/

Ya, I've read about M. Muma's achievement and my hat is off to such a pioneer! He had guts and determination to make such a trip back in the seventies, given the condition of the roads, the isolation, etc. Actually, the trip Ryan is doing is inspired by M. Muma's trip.

Cheers !!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> News & Announcements All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
::
View previous topic
:: View next topic  

Jump to: